Friday, February 12, 2010

Not Out Skiing - The Other Kind of Preparation

Today I passed up a day of skiing so I could work on the other kind of preparation I need to do for the Mongolia Project. I am building a strategy... How do I plan an expedition to Mongolia?

I have always been a bit obsessive about gear. I love it. I hate not having it. I've begun to list every piece of gear that I have which could be useful in Mongolia, and a list of dream items that give me goosebumps.

I'll be applying for a Fulbright Fellowship to pay for transportation to and from Mongolia, plus in-country support. The Fulbright ties into my goals for this expedition to have a humanitarian mission. This is not just about climbing a few peaks, nor is it a fancy vacation. It is an opportunity for inter-cultural exchange, to promote education, and to learn something new about how we interact with our environment.

It's also a way to connect people from all over the world. I am eager to meet people who have visited Mongolia, or climbed glaciated peaks, or have created their own meaningful project. I feel an amazing energy driving the Mongolia Project into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment