Thursday, April 22, 2010

Self-Confidence and Fundraising

During March, when I wasn't skiing, I used down time to form some fundraising plans for The Mongolia Project. The push to get some solid plans laid down also gave me some mental space in which to reckon with any doubts.

Recently, I auditioned for the Winter Park Ski Patrol. I skied steep bumps. Out of about fifty applicants, I was one of about five women to audition that day. Yah, I think that took some guts. I did well, but didn't make the cut. (That might be a good thing… I'll save my knees.) I'm glad I tried and got to exercise my self-confidence.


Funny how there are some things we naturally feel confident about. Some of us are confident speakers. Some know relationships are their thing. For me, it's athletic pursuits like skiing and kayaking. I just jump right in and have fun. But when it comes to things like money and fundraising, I get sheepish.


I laid on Heather's floor in a post hot-tub glow, recovering from my day of trying to show off for the Winter Park Ski Patrol. Heather is my friend, an entrepreneur building her holistic healing business between SolVista and Boulder. Back at her studio apartment near Winter Park, with silky eye pillows, sewing machine and tapestries strewn about her small workshop / living space, we both laid on our backs and listened to a hypnotherapy recording. The goal of the exercise was to become more open to abundance. Years ago, I went through periods of listening to these new-age recordings, trying to improve myself and rid myself of any blockages. Inspired by Heather's enthusiasm, I opened myself up for as much financial well-being that I could handle.


I really like Heather's hippy, earth mother goddess nature. And as a CMT, she's an expert in helping people heal themselves. We spent a few days together, riding the chairlifts and waxing about our goals as women, as entreprenuers, and as healers. I realized that taking care of myself, doing whatever it takes to take care of myself, even if it means lying on the floor and listening to hypnotherapy recordings for abundance, is important. And so, it begins. I am learning about fundraising...


BECAUSE people need a connection with nature, clean water and air, peaceful interaction without the threat of violence, a compassionate education, a forum in which to have their voices heard, healthy group dynamics, organic food, sustainable lifestyles, spiritual connections of the heart, fairness, healing and play.


My favorite of the affirmations Heather and I absorbed into our sub-conscious minds was "Making money is fun and easy." Why not?


I have many pots in the fire, all feeding The Mongolia Project.


It snowed this morning in Nederland, CO. Then the sun came out and melted it all away. As winter slowly gives way to spring, preparation for Mongolia changes. I ski less. I write more. Now exists as a small window of time before the whitewater season begins. Follow me on this blog as I train with some great athletes, build The Mongolia Project, and travel on a nomadic, migratory route across America, from Ellis Island to the Rocky Mountains, to the backcountry of the Pacific Northwest, and beyond.


Boost my self-confidence... Follow The Mongolia Project.


No comments:

Post a Comment